Sunday, June 10, 2012

Broccoli Slaw... SAY WHAAAAT!?!?

Yes!  Broccoli Slaw people!  I was craving me some slaw the other day.  I saw that I needed to use up my broccoli and FAST!  But, I didn't feel like wasting all the stalk of the broccoli.  I hate wasting food... I am a food junkie and wasting food is almost sac-religious to me!  Haha...

So, I decided to create a simple and delicious Broc Slaw.  It's as delicious as much as it is nutritious!  Probably the best slaw ever... EVER! 

In fact, I am eating it as I write this blog... I love leftovers!  Broccoli is a FABULOUS food... a SUPERFOOD!  Broccoli boasts high in Vitamin C which is not only a great preventive measure for colds, it also helps ease cold symptoms and help in the absorbency of iron.  And, it doesn't stop there... NOPE.  In fact, the beta-carotene in broccoli transforms into vitamin A within the body, providing an effective antioxidant that destroys free radicals (responsible for weakening the defense of cells). 

Also, did you know that broccoli can help prevent and control many disease and illnesses?!?  Just look: Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, calcium deficiencies, stomach and colon cancer, malignant tumors, lung cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and even the aging process can all be prevented and/or controlled by the feared by many SUPERFOOD... My best friend, Broccoli! 

So, I say why not bust out that broccoli and make something delicious!



Broc Slaw by Cortney Murphy
(Yeah... I figured I'd add my name to my recipes... Why not... HAHA!)
 
Serves: 4-6 peeps
 
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of shredded stalk of broc and finely chopped broccoli (the leafy stuff)
  • 2-3  slices of cooked bacon (I used regular bacon... it's spread so sparingly throughout the slaw it's not a huge deal...)
  • 5 small sweet peppers (they come in a huge bag at grocery stores for about $5.99)
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
  • 2 large celery stalks, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
Dressing:

  • Lemon juice from a large lemon
  • 3 tbsp of mayo (or light)
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 1 tbsp honey (make sure it's 100%... buyer beware of "HONEY SAUCE" which contains added preservatives including crap like high fructose corn syrup)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Simply add all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl.  Then the dressing ingredients.  Mix well until all is coated.

When added the dressing (yes I made it in a separate bowl, which is fine if you'd like to do that) and felt like it wasn't going to be enough.  However, it was plenty!!!  If you like more, simply add more.  Although, you want to be careful on the mayo... That stuff will get you all the time!  HAHA! 

ENJOY!



     
     
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment