Monday, March 19, 2012

Cellulite... Eww! Coffee Grinds... huh?

One day in band camp... KIDDING... Although, it was one day I was reading the ingredients on the packaging of anti-cellulite creams and serums, along with toning lotions noticing a very common ingredient: caffeine.  In fact, it is the most commonly used ingredient in creams, lotions, etc.  


First, let's get down to the nitty gritty: What is cellulite?  Cellulite (a daunting and dreadful word) is when your skin fat deposits are visible just below the surface of the skin which gives a dimpled like appearance (you've heard the term cottage cheese legs and if you haven't where have you been?).  You can find this one of a kind "look" commonly on the abdomen, legs, buttocks, limbs, and pelvic region.  You can develop cellulite at any age because of your diet... Your food and beverage intake effects EVERTHING, see told ya so!  80% of a beautiful bod is nutrition (and yes, I will repeat that often so get used to it, haha). 


There are numerous factors that play a role in the cellulite show.  It's not quite understood why men aren't blessed with this as much as woman however, there are some theories as to why anyone can have it or could achieve it (which I am sure NONE of you are trying to do).  Being a woman is a cause of cellulite, believe it or not.  However, scientifically genetics are a cause of cellulite.  Studies have shown cellulite can be passed down via our genes... so which grandparent do I get to send a Thank You card to this week... hmm.  The reason genetics may be causing the back of your legs or stomach to look like orange peels is due to factors such as race, rate of metabolism, how your body distributes fat, your body's ability or inability to circulate fat properly.   


But, you can't just blame genetics as you sit on your couch watching The View and eating chocolate donuts all morning.  Another reason why we may develop cellulite is like I mentioned above, YOUR DIET, YOUR FOOD INTAKE, WHAT YOU EAT.  I'm telling you nutrition is 80%. Memorize it!  If you are consuming high amounts of fat, salt, or carbs then you are most likely to have more than just a little cellulite.  Too little fiber in your diet can be a factor, as well.  So... EAT BETTER, EAT CLEAN.  


Your lifestyle may be your down fall to the cellulite gods.  They do have a lot of power.  If you smoke cigarettes, don't exercise enough, stand or sit in one position all day, don't hydrate properly then you are more likely to be flashing the cottage cheese thighs.  Hey, I made that fashion mistake numerous times!  


Some studies have concluded that binding or tight clothes can stifle circulation and cause cellulite to form.  But, through a lot of just thinking to myself (I have limited friends... haha) and some diligent research I found a way in addition to eating clean and regular sweaty exercise to lessen the appearance of cellulite and to help rid it away.  


So, back to the packaging ingredients I was looking at on today's most sought after and economical anti-cellulite creams, I found that CAFFEINE was the most commonly used ingredient... Along with a bunch of other long words with numerous vowels which were impossible to pronounce.  So why CAFFEINE???  Why not caffeine!!!


Caffeine is a stimulant.  It's also a vasodilator (vas-o-di-lator) which can aide in opening up your blood vessels to reduce the amount of fat cells that could otherwise build up there.  When you your blood flows through your body without any "traffic" you are helping to naturally remove toxins and flush them bad boys (fat cells) bye-bye!


So, I admit.  I pondered whether to purchase this $14 cream I had in my hand knowing it contains a load of caffeine... just for a minute.  Truthfully, I've purchased these sticky, smelly creams before.   But, right before I tossed the bottle into the shopping cart I told myself, "NO!  Why not try rubbing this mornings coffee grinds on my skin!?"  Yes... I convinced myself I will be cheap (or cost efficient) and rub cold coffee grinds straight from the press or filter.  As I laughed hysterically at myself knowing if anyone were watching, they'd be laughing... I picked up a Woman's Day magazine and sure as Sherlock they suggested the very same cost efficient method of cellulite reduction as I was doing at that VERY EXACT TIME!  I gasped in amazement, because I was starting to believe I was doing this all in the name of trial and error or uhh, science... But, if done properly you can reduce the appearance of your dimpley dimples.  


Make sure your grinds have cooled off.  I did this at night... because it will TEMPORARILY leave your skin brown (from the grinds). Massage the grinds vigorously in a circle motion, upward and let them sit there for 10-15 minutes, like you would a facial mask.  Then rinse them off in which ever way you fancy.  It won't CURE your cellulite, so don't be fooled by that.  Cellulite is from within... so this is just a topical aide that is inexpensive and readily available from your morning cup o' joe!  Also, lay down towels and sit/lay on towels with this concoction on so you don't ruin carpet, rugs, bedding, clothes, etc.  


Have fun! 





No comments:

Post a Comment