Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Pizza... Somewhat!

I was venturing through the isles at Trader Joe's (one of my favorites speciality grocery stores... cheap, convenient, and tasty) when I had the yearning to make pizza.  But, I wanted it that night and didn't want to deal with making my own dough.

Thankfully, TJ's offers a whole wheat dough (along with regular dough and a herb version).  I purchased that along with some other must haves and away I went.  So, you bake the pizza at 450-500 degrees to perfection and in about 20 minutes you have a marvelous meal and oh-so-tasty! 

Follow the directions as stated in the dough's package.  I'm telling you in advance to pull the dough out of the fridge 20 minutes prior to prepping.  Be sure to pre-heat that oven.  While the dough is resting and the oven is pre-heating, chop up your choice of veggies.  The pizza I created I named: Pesto Delight.  The sauce was actually tube of basil spread I purchased from Safeway.  I used this instead of actual pesto paste or sauce because it's lower in calories and fat.  Yet, tastes just like pesto sauce.  I also had chicken leftover from earlier in the week, I sliced some yellow sweet peppers, white onion, and spinach.  Topped half of it with pine nuts for others... But, I do not like the texture or taste of pine nuts that's why only half of the pizza was topped with them.

So, the process (simplified) as follows for the PESTO DELIGHT pizza:

-Get the dough out and let it sit for 20 minutes
-Pre-heat the oven to 450-500 degrees (depends on the dough)
-Chop your veggies
-Cut up some chicken breast
-Roll dough out on a well floured surface, use the flour in accordance to your dough (wheat = wheat flour, white = white flour...)
-Once the dough is rolled out, begin to put the basil spread on the dough
-After that, sprinkle LIGHTLY and SPARINGLY shredded mozzarella cheese on top
-Then add your chicken and veggies
-Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on how you like your dough and VIOLA! 



DONE.  A very simple and easy recipe in which gives you a pizza in about the same time or less than delivery!  And, MUCH healthier for you! 

It's a clean version of what I enjoy eating most.  I could eat pizza everyday!  But, with the over abundance of calories and processed meats, it doesn't make for a wise food choice.  Now, you too can eat cleaner and better without sacrificing taste or enjoyment!  CHEERS!  Stay tuned for more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment